From Shared Shelf Commons
You can search Shared Shelf Commons by using the Keyword Search to search across all collections and in all data fields, you can Filter your keyword search results or try the Advanced Search to refine your queries to specific collections or by date, geography, and/or object classification.
- Begin a Keyword Search from any location in Shared Shelf Commons:
- Enter your keyword(s) in the search box and click Go. SSC will return results that include all of your search terms, so there is no need to include "and" between terms.
- Want to use wildcards or shortcuts? For a complete list, as well as other suggestions for keyword searching, please see the Search tips below.
- Looking for a certain collection? You may also use specific search phrases to isolate images from a particular collection. For a complete list, please see: Searching Collections.
- Your search results will be returned as thumbnails.
- Further refine your search by using the Keyword Search box in the upper right corner. Enter another search term and from the drop-down options choose Within this search result. Click Go.
On the front page of Shared Shelf Commons, the Keyword Search box is located in the upper left corner.
On a search results page, the Keyword Search box is located in the upper right corner.
ORGo to the SSC navigation menu and click Find > Search.
Please note: You may receive a message that the search has retrieved more than 1,000 results. View the first 1,000 images by clicking View results, or, refine your query by clicking the Advanced Search button.
- Begin an Advanced Search from any location in Shared Shelf Commons:
- Construct your Advanced Search:
On the front page of the Digital Library, click advanced search beneath the Keyword Search box in the upper left corner.
On a search results page, click Advanced search beneath the Keyword Search box in the upper right corner. You may also click the Advanced Search button.
Go to the SSC navigation menu and click Find > Advanced search.
Search for words and phrases.
- Enter a search term in the first search box.
- Use the drop-down menu to the right of this field to specify the scope of your search: in any field, in Title only, or in Creator only.
- Use the drop-down menu at the beginning of the second row to select a Boolean operator (AND/OR/NOT).
- Enter another search term in the field provided.
- Repeat these steps for each keyword term that you wish to enter.
Search by date or date range.
- In the date range area, enter a year in the "From" field and choose an era [CE (AD) or BCE (BC)], using the drop-down menu.
- If you would like to search for a range of dates, enter another date choosing an era from the corresponding drop-down menu.
- Select a radio button below the "From" and "To" date fields to either include records with date ranges that overlap the range you entered, or to search only records with dates that are exactly in the range you entered.
Search by geography.
- Use the scroll bar under Geography to review a list of geographic terms. Click the checkbox next to the desired region or country (up to five selections).
Search by classification.
- Use the scroll bar under Classification to review a list of classification categories. Click the checkbox next to the desired classification (up to five selections).
Search by collection.
- Use the scroll bar under Collections to review a list of collections available to you, which may include personal collections and/or institutional collections. Please note: All of these choices may not appear. Click the checkbox next to the desired collection.
Filter your search results
When you run a keyword search, options will appear along with your search results page. At this time users can filter by one of sixteen ARTstor classifications, geographical area or country, and date range.
- Run a keyword search.
- The results will be returned as thumbnails with a faceted search panel and a graphical timeline.
- Classification filter: This filter will display the ARTstor classifications represented in your search results. To narrow your results to one specific classification, click the name of the classification. The thumbnails will reload, including only the filtered results.
- Geography filter: This filter will display the geographical areas or countries represented in your search results. To narrow your results to one specific area or country, click the name of the location. Once you select the location the thumbnails will reload, including only those results.
- Date range filter: This filter will display the earliest and latest dates represented in your search results. To narrow the date range, drag the end-markers from either side of the time line to adjust the included dates or type new dates in the beginning and end date boxes at either end of the timeline.
Please note: The date range timeline will not appear if your search returns over 1,000 results or if the timeline of results is greater than 10,000 years.
Modify your Keyword and Advanced Searches
|underscore (_)||The underscore (_) can represent any one character.||m_net will retrieve "monet", "manet", etc.|
|asterisk (*)||The asterisk (*) can represent zero, one, or several characters.||ren* will retrieve "rene", "reni", "renoir", "rendering", "renaissance", etc.|
|dollar sign ($)||The dollar sign ($) will expand the search to include terms that stem from a given root.||$poison will retrieve "poison", "poisoned", "poisoning", "poisonous", "poisoner", etc.|
|Capitalization||There is no need to capitalize words in Shared Shelf Commons, even in titles or artists' names.||When searching for Thomas Eakins, simply enter: thomas eakins|
|Articles||You do not need to use articles (a, the, le, la, etc.) before titles or other terms.||When searching for "The Judgment of Paris", you may simply enter: judgment of paris|
|Exact phrase||To search for an exact phrase, put the phrase in quotes ("...").||When searching for the painting "Le Moulin de la Galette" by Renoir, enter: "le moulin de la galette"|
|Punctuation||When searching for phrases or words that include punctuation such as "self-portrait", you can either use the punctuation or leave it out.||The following searches will both yield the same results: self-portrait or self portrait|
|Word order||Unless your search phrase is enclosed with quotation marks ("..."), the order of terms will not affect the search.||The following searches will both yield the same results: albrecht durer or durer albrecht|
Tips for collection searches
While you may browse individual collections, you may also search for particular collections by using certain search terms in your keyword or advanced search.